Location: Remote. Must be able to appear in person at one of our offices (in Springfield or Brattleboro, Vermont) once at the start of internship.
Duration: Starting ASAP, 12-15 weeks to be determined in collaboration with the Intern.
Pay Rate: $12-13/hr depending on experience/skills
Hours Per Week: 20
Senior Solutions is the nonprofit Area Agency on Aging (AAA) that serves Windham and Windsor Counties in Southeastern Vermont. Every state has one or more organizations or government departments that act as AAAs and receive the Older Americans Act funding to support the needs of elderly people and their family caregivers.
Salesforce.com is a cloud-hosted database platform that’s very customizable and used by many nonprofit and for-profit organizations to track various aspects of business. We use the Non-Profit Success Pack (NPSP) customization of Salesforce to track donations and donors, volunteers and volunteer hours, and many other people and organizations with whom we communicate for outreach purposes.
The Data and Non-Profit Development Intern will be supervised by the Salesforce Administrator. Work will be conducted via remote collaboration software such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Salesforce Chatter.
With the help of the supervisor and the Salesforce training platform, the Intern will:
• Learn basic Salesforce user skills, then build on this foundation to develop advanced user skills.
• Attend meetings that demonstrate how a Salesforce Administrator works with program staff to solicit data tracking needs and customize the database to meet those needs.
• Attend meetings between the Admin and Salesforce consultant that deal with advanced topics.
• Utilize Salesforce.com resources: webinars (if appropriate), user forums, and the Trailheads training system.
• Depending on progress, the Intern may have the opportunity to learn some beginning Admin skills.
Topics that the Intern will learn and practice include:
• Enter data in support of the following initiatives: Fundraising, Outreach, Volunteer programs
• Audit data for quality control
• Prepare data for import using spreadsheet software
• Customize data entry pages
• Build reports
• Graduated from a college/university or technical/vocational program.
• Able to access a secure Internet connection (our data is subject to privacy regulations).
• Comfort with PC, MS Windows 10, and Microsoft Outlook email/calendar.
• Some experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, OR Libre Office Write and Calc.
• Mac/Apple-only users should NOT apply.
Skills, Attributes and Knowledge Desired:
• Adept at learning new software applications
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent attention to detail
• Accurate data entry including correct spelling
• Communicates clearly in writing and verbally about the details of data and reporting
• Analytical thinking for solving logical problems
• Intermediate experience with MS Excel or Libre Office Calc is a big plus, but NOT required
Educational/Professional Development Outcomes for Intern:
The Intern will gain advanced user skills in Salesforce.com NPSP, and intermediate skill in MS Excel.
• The Intern will be equipped to use Salesforce Trailheads to continue self-guided training in topics of their choosing.
• Intern will be have the potential to be hired for their Salesforce experience, and/or to begin training to become a certified Salesforce Administrator.
The Salesforce “ecosystem” is very accessible for those who want to continue learning and participating in user forums, even if the user is no longer employed by a business customer. There are many job opportunities for those who wish become Salesforce administrators or developers.
Read more about Salesforce at:
• Senior Solutions will provide a laptop PC for Intern’s use. We will not provide significant training on the use of a PC and MS Outlook; however we will provide links to training units for those who need to brush up on some MS Office skills.
• Applicants should expect, as part of their interview (via Zoom) to share their PC screen and demonstrate some basic skills in navigating MS Windows and an Internet browser.
Apply through one of the application portals listed below. You will be asked to provide a resume and cover letter. Please address your cover letter to Janis Hall, Salesforce Administrator, Senior Solutions – Council on Aging for SE VT, 38 Pleasant St, Springfield, VT 05156.