The SoVTYPs Professional Development Grant Program is the newest offering for Southern Vermont Young Professional members. The goal of this pilot program is to help support SoVTYP members in advancing, or pivoting, their career by providing financial assistance to help them achieve those career goals.
- Grants of up to $500 will be given to young professionals through a competitive application process.
- There are two application deadlines: December 1st or March 1st
- Grants will be used to support individual YPs in attending a professional development opportunity. Some examples of eligible grant uses include:
- Short-term certification
- Continuing education
- Professional conferences
- and more!
- Funds may be used for the advancement of the individual’s current profession or to pivot toward new career goals.
- Applicants must provide proof of payment and evidence of completion.
- Current steering committee members are not eligible, to avoid conflict of interest.
- Applicants must submit a Letter of Intent, due one week prior to the application deadline. Once YP submits Letter of Intent, they will receive an email with a link to the grant application.
- Applicant must be a registered member of SoVTYPs (Applicant will be asked to provide a PDF of their SoVTYP member card)
- If you are a member and you’re not sure where to find your member card, please email Sarah Lang at email@example.com
- Not a member yet? Become a member here!
- Funds must be used directly towards the educational portion of their activity, not travel or incidentals.
- Awardees must sign sub grant agreement, which includes confirming that they meet the requirements and agreeing to the clawback provision.
- PDO must be completed or paid for before the end of the fiscal year.
- Applicants that receive grant money through this program must provide a testimonial on their experience.
- Applicants must live and/or work in the Windham Region.
These items are not required, but work in the applicant’s favor when committee is reviewing applications
- Applicant has attended at least one SoVTYP event in the past 12 months.
- Applicant plans on remaining in Vermont (living and/or working) for at least the next year.
- Applicants must submit a Letter of Intent due one week prior to the application deadline,
- February 22nd, 2021 LOI deadline for March 1st, 2021 application deadline
- The grant application, emailed to the YP after they submit an LOI, will be an online form that asks short essays/ paragraphs about the person’s interest and passions for their community as well as their professional aspirations.
- The deadlines for the applications are March 1st, 2021
- Awardees will be chosen within two weeks of the application deadline.
- Awardees must sign subgrant agreement before receiving award.
- Award must be spent by the end of the fiscal year (June 30th, 2021)
Application Review and Evaluation
- Applications will be reviewed by the Professional Development Grant Program Committee, a subcommittee of the Southern Vermont Young Professionals Steering Committee
- Awardees will be chosen within two weeks of application deadline.
- Rubric Scoring Criteria:
- Three essay questions will be scored up to 10 points each
- Applicants will get 5 points for financial need
- Applicants will get 1 point if they’ve attended a YP event in the past 12 months
- Awardees and amount awarded will be chosen based on score and need.