Release Date: Monday, October 19th 2015
Brattleboro Development Credit Corporation (BDCC)
Job Title: Accounting, Payroll and Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Grant & Finance Manager
Program Objectives & Requirements
BDCC is looking for a candidate who will serve as its Accounting, Payroll and Administrative Assistant, and who has the ability and desire to transition into the Office Manager / Accountant role currently held by a long serving individual. This position will help to maintain the business office and keep it running smoothly and efficiently, as well as providing assistance to support customers and external stakeholders; will maintain responsibility for paying BDCC employees by calculating pay and deductions, and issuing bi-weekly payroll statements.
Joining BDCC as its Accounting, Payroll and Administrative Assistant affords the opportunity for a person with knowledge, combination of skills, personal traits, and attributes to join a dynamic team. This position requires a strong work ethic, productivity, professionalism, problem solving and a diverse skill set (i.e. technical, interpersonal, communication, team work & collaboration, and problem solving & critical thinking skills).
BDCC, is a private, nonprofit economic development organization that serves as a catalyst for industrial and commercial growth throughout Southeastern Vermont. The primary objective of the BDCC is to create and retain a flourishing business community that supports vibrant fiscal activity, and improves the quality of life of all of its residents. As such, all BDCC employees are integral in assisting the organization to reach its objectives. All staff are expected to participate in professional development activities led by the Executive Director as well as pursue opportunities individually. The organization relies on all staff to help attend community and business meetings across the county. Additionally, all staff are encouraged to publish professional papers establishing themselves, and the organization, as leaders in economic development in Southern Vermont. Participation in these activities by all BDCC staff is critical to the BDCCs success.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Business Office Support:
- Answer phone, serve as initial point of contract for professional / tenant visits, inquires, etc. First person to be encountered at BDCC! Sorting out incoming and outgoing daily mail and answering general queries.
- Communication with Real Estate & Environmental Compliance Manager on tenant questions, concerns, etc.
- Account for and stock office and kitchen supplies.
- Provide direct administrative assistance to the Executive Director.
- Coordinate maintenance of office equipment: furniture, computers, printers, & phone (etc.).
- Bookkeeping functions: Accounts Receivable (transact payments received), Banking, Accounts Payable (transact payments made), and track financial loans / debt.
- SeVEDS/Related Company (ies) Bookkeeping.
- Work with and develop spreadsheets for loans, tenants, electric, fuel purchases and related purchase orders.
- Reconciliation of Financial Accounts.
- Issue monthly billings for rent, water, electric, etc.
- Manage petty cash transactions.
- Filing and maintaining upkeep of A/R & A/P files.
- Transact bi-weekly payroll.
- Ensure filing of required federal & state payroll reports, payment of taxes, remittance of IRA contributions, and employee insurances.
- Maintain employee information for health, disability & workers compensation insurance.
- Maintain employee information for vacation, sick time and employee pay schedules.
- Respond to general request for information about BDCC grants.
- Assist in coordinating grant program information, submission of cash requests, and assistance with reporting requirements.
- Performs general clerical duties to include but not limited to: photocopying, faxing, mailing, filing, etc.
- Work with Grant & Finance Manager, and other departments as needed to accomplish task and responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Projects Assistance:
- Coordinate monthly, semi-annual and annual Board / Member meetings in coordination with Grant & Finance Manager (i.e. print & mail invitations, order awards, track RSVPs, take attendance, & organize meeting room set up and catering, as needed).
- Maintain Member Database.
- Coordinate special events, as needed.
- Prepare Board room for monthly meetings (i.e. purchase food/beverages, set up, etc.)
- Represent the BDCC at business and community meetings throughout the year; meetings are often at night and located across the county.
- Maintain current understanding of organization’s activities and able to represent organization as needed.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, professional development and community outreach.
- Publish commentary, opinion editorials, and blogs demonstrating personal and organizational growth.
- 3 years of Accounting & Payroll processing experience. Associates degree or greater level in business preferred.
- Experience with QuickBooks Accounting System, and ADP Payroll Processing.
- A passion for numbers, accuracy and skills in calculating figures is vital, as is adeptness for details.
- A penchant for problem solving in a mature calm way, with a cheery disposition and in an organized fashion.
- A desire for career development.
- Competency in information technology and project management, along with team player skills.
- Ability to be discreet, reliable and trustworthy, to conform to company policies, as well as take initiative.
- Multi – tasking; and ability to coordinate between departments and operating units in resolving day-to-day administrative and operational problems.
- Use of office systems and related equipment.
Work is generally performed in an office setting with frequent interruptions, multiple deadlines, applicant inquires, and peak workload periods. Position will require attending a weekly BDCC/SeVEDS staff meeting, and daily collaboration. The position requires a schedule of work of 40 hours per week including evening meetings, as needed.
Work may include prolonged sitting, as well as light to moderate lifting, reaching, stooping, pulling, pushing, manual dexterity, clear speech, visual and hearing acuity. The need to transport files, paper and documents weighing up to 25 pounds is also required.
Interested parties having the required qualification / experience should send their resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, October 30, 2015. No phone calls please.